TOKA LEYA CAMP
Wherever we operate, we aim to create the biggest positive impact for our conservation mission. As circumstances change, we continually evaluate, adapt and evolve. We focus on conservation, community development and making our own operations more sustainable, and where possible, implement initiatives that play a role in all three areas. We strongly believe that the world’s wild places and the communities that surround them are completely interdependent. For them to coexist, there needs to be a meaningful and widespread commitment on the part of everyone involved – including you, our guest
Overlooking the mighty Zambezi River and some of its islands, Wilderness Toka Leya is the ideal combination of relaxation and adventure. Game drives and river cruises can be followed by a therapeutic treatment at our spa; tours of Victoria Falls, a nearby rural village and Livingstone town add cultural and historical diversity. Fishing, rhino tracking and plenty of adrenaline-filled activities add excitement to the experience.
Wilderness Toka Leya is ideal for the beginning or end of an African safari. Morning explorations of the river, the surrounding Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park or nearby Victoria Falls can be followed by a tranquil afternoon at our spa or practicing inspired yoga on the panoramic deck of the gym. The camp’s twelve spacious, en-suite safari-style tents (including three family rooms). all with expansive decks, serve up dramatic views and glimpses of wildlife. Limiting our footprint on this pristine area, elevated wooden walkways weave between the guest tents.
The main area with the dining, bar and lounge maximise the natural spaces of the camp and its remote location. Furnishings with customised décor, are influenced by the surrounding Zambezi, while paying homage to the local community. Bespoke Zambian basket light fittings boldly feature in the lounge and dining areas, which are spread out to create pockets of calm for guests to enjoy their wild surrounds.
The bar itself, clad in vibrant fabric features a bespoke Zambezi fish design, and is the ideal setting for watching an unforgettable sunset. All of which are complemented by an infinity pool, a sundeck for sumptuous meals and a convivial fire deck with camp fire for night-time gatherings. Bean bags add a splash of colour on the beach and offer the ultimate relaxation spot on the water’s edge.
- Dining and bar area under a canopy of trees overlooking the Zambezi River with all tents and main areas connected by elevated wooden walkways.
- Dinners are served on the deck overlooking the Zambezi River or in the dining room.
- Pool in the main area.
- Sala in the main area.
- Fire deck and campfire on the riverbanks.
- Pizza oven.
- Safari Trading Store.
- Gym (equipment includes a treadmill, elliptical cross trainer, abs glider, stationary exercise bicycle, medicine balls, exercise mats and a range of free weights between 2.5kg and 20kg).
- Health and beauty spa, treatments at an additional cost.
- Sandy beach relaxation area next to the river.
- Wormery and tree nursery.
- Guest toilets in the main area.
- Game drives into Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park
- Guided tour of the magnificent Victoria Falls on the Zambian side.
- Cultural visits to one of the nearby villages
- River cruises (often at sunset)
- Children’s activities
- Guided nature walks
- Guided tour of Livingstone town and the Livingstone
- Back-of-house tours and discussions by camp staff on the camp’s eco-friendly initiatives
- Fishing, on a catch-and-release basis.
In 1983 our journey began in Botswana, with a few rustic tents, a single Land Rover, two dedicated safari guides, and a dream of showcasing Africa’s iconic wild places. Now, 40 years on, Wilderness has over 3,000 passionate employees, and more than 60 camps across Southern and East Africa, while also operating a full-service Destination Management Company (DMC).
From those humble beginnings sprang one of Africa’s leading conservation and hospitality companies.
Our purpose has always been what drives us –but now, more than ever, we are determined to have an even greater impact on the world’s wildlife, wilderness, and local communities. We aim to double the amount of land we help conserve in the next few years. An ambitious goal, but we believe that with the support of our guests, partners, and greater collective, it is achievable. We’re devoted to increasing the world’s wilderness, together. And it’s a vision we’ll never stop longing to achieve.
Please Contact us for our rates
- All meals
- Twice daily scheduled camp activities
- Rhino-tracking with the Zambian Department of National Parks and Wildlife
- Park fees
- A guided tour of the Zambian side of The Victoria Falls
- A guided tour of Livingstone town and Livingstone Museum
- Sunset river cruise
- Visit to a local African village plus local curio shops
- All local drinks
- Premium imported brands and champagne.