SURFING THE ZAMBEZI
It’s fun, exciting and easier to do than it looks. And it’s in a unique location: the Batoka Gorge, right below the historic bridge, just below the Victoria Falls.
The trip starts by walking down the Batoka Gorge to rapid #. There you jump in the water with the hydrospeed board and swim to rapid #2. The guide will give you a short instruction on the basics of being in control and surfing the wave. It’s easy to catch the wave and stay on it to surf: no experience or special skills are required.
Things to know about hydrospeeding:
- You must be fairly fit to enjoy this activity to the full. Walking up the gorge is physically demanding.
- It is safe. You have a life jacket, fins and helmet for the duration of the trip. There is a safety helper positioned below the rapid to make sure you don’t drift too far down the river. In the unlikely event of something happening, air rescue and professional medical staff are on standby.
- You are allowed to take a small camera with you at your own risk. There is a dry bag on the trip, but the operators cannot take any responsibility for your electronic equipment.
- Bottled mineral water is included.
- Wear shorts and a T-shirt or swim wear. Sandals are sufficient to walk down the gorge. Please bring your own sunblock.
- Bring dry clothes to change into after the trip.
- Your valuables can be stored in a safe box; you will get them back at the end of the trip.
- The activity takes approximately three hours.
PHOTO CREDIT Bundu Adventures