MONUMENTS & HISTORIC SITES
Below you will find a full list of historic places in Zambia from the National Heritage Conservation Commission.
Ayrshire Farm rock engravings near Lusaka.
Chifubwa stream cave near Solwezi.
Gwisho hot springs at Lochinvar National Park and late Stone Age human skeletons from about 4 000 years ago at Monze.
Ing–ombe Ilede at Lusitu is an archaeological site near Siavonga.
Kalemba rock shelter in Chadiza District has many rock paintings.
Kalundu Mound at Kalomo is the site of a village from at least the ninth until the 12th centuries.
Kasamba Stream grinding grooves in Samfya is an Iron Age site near Boma where axes and iron implements were sharpened. On the western shore of Lake Bangweulu, just south of Samfya, is an outcrop of rock that bears a large number of artificial grinding grooves dating back possibly to the Iron Age. It is thought they were used for grinding and polishing axes.
Kundabwika rock painting near Kundabwika Falls, north-west of Mporokoso.
Leopard’s Hill Cave in Lusaka District.
Libala Limestone in Lusaka along Chilumbulu road.
Makwe rock shelter at Katete (south of Kondwelani School) is a late Stone Age site that has yielded many tools dating back about 6 000 years.
Maramba Quarry in Livingstone is the first stratified site of the middle Pleistocene.
Mkomo is an Iron Age shelter and rock paintings outside Chipata.
Mumbwa Caves in Central Province contain burial sites, evidence of iron smelting and are the site of the Kaonde people’s Musaka Jikubi ceremony.
Munwa Stream rock engravings in Mwense District.
Mwela rock paintings at Kasama, north of the Kasama Isoka Road.
Nachikufu Cave in Mpika District has 18 000-year-old rock paintings.
Nachitalo Hill in Mkushi District is a rock art site south of Ndola near Msofu Mission.
Nsalu Cave in Serenje District comprises 12 000-year-old rock paintings north of Kanona that are some of the best examples of Africa’s schematic rock paintings.
Nyambwezu rock shelter in Mwinilunga District at Nyambwezu Falls has paintings similar to those at Chifubwa Stream Cave, both of which are probably about 3 000 years old.
Rocklands Farm rock art outside Chipata are two groups of rock paintings on the west side of Katotola Kopje.
Sebanzi Hill in Lochinvar National Park is the site of a large Iron Age village, apparently occupied by the ancestors of the Tonga tribe from about 1100 AD.
Sutherland’s Farm in Livingstone includes two former terraces of the Maramba River, the lower of which contains a home and workshop site of the Great Handaxe Culture.
Thandwe rock shelter in Chipata District.
Twickenham Road archaeological site at Twickenham Road, Olympia Park in Lusaka.
Twin Rivers Kopje outside Lusaka.
Victoria Falls Trust archaeological sites are outside Livingstone on the north side of Sesheke Road. These early to later Stone Age sites are the key for determining the Stone Age cultural sequence in the Upper Zambezi Valley.
Zawi Hill rock paintings are north of Chipata near Kamukwe Village.
Administrator’s House in Kalomo was the capital of North-Western Rhodesia until 1911.
Castle Hotel in Lundazi was built in 1956.
Livingstone Memorial in Mpika District was built in 1902 to mark the site where David Livingstone died in 1873.
Fort Elwes has stone walls on the Congo Pedicle border north of Mkushi.
Fort Monze outside Monze dates to the 1890s and was one of the earliest colonial police posts.
Fort Young near Chipata on the Nsadzu-Mpezeni Road.
Mpongwe Fortified Camp in Mpongwe consists of a raised bank and double ditch constructed during a period of raiding into the area by the neighbours of the Lima people, probably around 1870.
Niamkolo Church in Mpulungu on Lake Tanganyika is the oldest surviving church building in Zambia, built in 1895.
Nkala Old Boma was built in 1901 as a fortified police camp at the top of Kapilika Nakalomwe Hill just outside Kafue National Park.
Old Drift at Livingstone was the first colonial settlement dating from the 1890s, next to a good river crossing point; its cemetery is in the game park section of Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park.
Old Government House in Livingstone was the main government office and governor’s residence from 1907 to 1935 when Livingstone was the capital of North-Western Rhodesia and Northern Rhodesia.
Tanganyika Victoria Memorial Institute at Mbala is a technical Institute built around 1905 in memory of Queen Victoria.
The Good News Monument in Mbala District commemorates the launch of the London Missionary Society’s steamship, The Good News, in 1884 on the Lufubu River upstream from Lake Tanganyika.
Von Lettow-Vorbeck Memorial is located near the north end of Chambeshi Bridge where German East African forces agreed a cease-fire on 14 November 1918, marking the end of World War One.
Bwacha House is at E1376 Musuku Road, Bwacha Township in Kabwe, where on 8 March 1958 Dr Kenneth Kaunda was elected president of the Zambia African National Congress.
Chilenje House in Lusaka was occupied by Dr Kenneth Kaunda from 1960 to 1962. Former house of late Zimbabwean president Robert Mugabe when he taught at Chalimbana Teacher Training College.
Freedom House on Freedom Way in Lusaka is where the United National Independence Party (UNIP) manifesto of 1962 was launched.
Kabompo House at No. J11a Kabompo Township in Kabompo, was where Dr Kenneth Kaunda was put under nominal house arrest by the colonial authorities from March to July 1959.
Lubwa House in Chinsali District was occupied from 1945 by the first president of Zambia, Kenneth Kaunda, while he was headmaster of Lubwa Upper Primary School.
Matero House at 3144 Monze Road, Matero Township in Lusaka.
Old Chilenje House at 280 Luwembu Street, Old Chilenje in Lusaka was the first office of the Zambia African National Congress.
Big Tree in Kabwe is a Cape fig tree with a massive canopy on the east side of Broadway, which served as a meeting place on many occasions during the early years of the township’s history.
Chichele Mofu Tree is a large mofu mahogany tree in Chichele National Forest, west of Ndola.
Dag Hammerskjöld Memorial, a short distance west of Ndola, marks the spot (now in the Ndola West Forest Reserve) where the aircraft carrying Hammerskjöld, author and former secretary general of the United Nations, died in a plane crash on 18 September 1961. To commemorate his death, a small cairn has been built in the centre of a simple memorial garden and a site museum has been opened to the public.
Football Heroes Burial Site at Independence Stadium in Lusaka is where 30 victims of the 1993 Gabon air disaster are buried including the 18 members of the Zambia national football team.
Ntembwe of Mwase in Lundazi is an irregular earthwork bank and ditch that was a baKafula village until about 1850.
Old National Assembly in Independence Avenue, Lusaka is also known as the Old Secretariat and Legco. It was built in 1932 and is the site of historic legislative events important to Zambia’s history during colonial and post-independence times.
Slave Tree is a large fig tree at Moffat Avenue and Livingstone Road in Ndola, where enslaved people were bought and sold by Swahili slave traders.
Collier Monument commemorates prospector William Collier’s 1902 discovery of copper ore in Luanshya.
Lusaka Thermal Power Station on Great East Road in Lusaka.
Moir and Bell Monument at Mufulira Copper Mines where the prospectors, J Moir and G Bell, discovered copper-bearing ore in 1923.
Zambezi Sawmills in Mulobezi.
Railway Locomotive Sheds at Livingstone, built around 1920, are now the site of the Livingstone Railway Museum.
Lunsemfwa Wonder Gorge and Bell Point in Mkushi District at the confluence of the Lunsemfwa and Mkushi Rivers. East-southeast of Kabwe, the Lunsemfwa River cuts a deep gash, known as the Wonder Gorge, through the lip of the Muchinga Escarpment (viewed from Bell’s Point).
Chipoma Falls on the Chimanabuwi River, south-southwest of Chinsali.
Chirundu Fossil Forest has 50 000-year-old fossil trees, west of Chirundu, just off the main Lusaka – Chirundu Road. They belong to the Karoo period and the hills here are covered in what at first glance look like large cylindrical columns of rock.
Chishimba Falls on the Luombe River near Chilubula Mission in Kasama District.
Hippo Pool at Chingola on the Kafue River.
Kalambo Falls in Mbala District is an archaeological site of early human habitation.
Kundabwika Falls on the Kalungwishi River in Kaputa District.
Kundalila Falls on the Kaombe River near Kanona in Serenje District.
Lake Chirengwa (the Sunken Lake) just east of Ndola.
Lake Kashiba, south-west of Luanshya, is a deep sunken lake.
Lumangwe Falls on the Kalungwishi River near Mporokoso.
Ntumbachushi Falls on the Ngona River in Kawambwa District.
Zambezi source in Mwinilunga District marks the start of the Zambezi River and is part of a botanical reserve, the Zambezi Source National Forest.
Chilubula Mission at Kayembi was the first mission station of the Roman Catholic White Fathers in the territory. Built in 1895 by Father Joseph Dupont, known as ‘Moto Moto’, it features a large church and well-preserved buildings.
Beit Bridge at Chirundu was constructed in 1939 as the first modern suspension bridge with parallel cables built outside the United States.
High Court in Livingstone was built in 1910 to coincide with the visit of the Duke and Duchess of Connaught.
Broken Hill Mine at Kabwe was one of the first mines in Zambia (begun in 1906) and site of the Broken Hill Man fossil find commemorated by a memorial at the municipal offices.
Kilwa Island in Lake Mweru was the site of a 19th century slave traders’ stockade.
Lwimbe petroglyphs just west of Kasama.
Girls’ Boarding School at Mbereshi was built in 1915 as the first African girls’ school in the country. It is now a mission house.
Mulungushi Rock at Kabwe has been, since 1960, the site of independence movement conferences.
North-Western Hotel in Livingstone was built 1909 by ‘Mopane’ Clarke.
Saint Andrews Church in Livingstone was built between 1910-11 in memory of David Livingstone and is still in use.
Shiwa House is a ‘manor house’ built in 1922 by Sir Stewart Gore-Browne at his Shiwa Ngandu estate.
Victoria Falls Bridge outside Livingstone was constructed in1905 as the country’s first major bridge and first railway.