With a total of 5 Luxury Tented Suites, including one spacious Family Suite and a Honeymoon Suite, Chikunto Safari Lodge can accommodate up to a maximum of 12 people, ensuring that you always have a feeling of both space and intimacy.
Each secluded Suite is built on a raised decking, providing panoramic views out over the iconic Luangwa River. Each one is appointed with King or Twin beds, mosquito net, internal seating area, wardrobe, full en-suite facilities (superb water pressure in the showers!) plus fantastic little touches like the ‘hidden’ multi-point Charger for those essential gadgets. All our Suites have their own private, fully furnished covered outdoor seating areas.
The spacious main lodge area, with its eclectic African / European style furniture has magnificent, framed photographs from the famed photographer, Patrick Bentley, and provides an ideal space in which to sit down, read a book and take in the stunning sights and sounds of the ever-present Luangwa River. An ideal opportunity to immerse yourself in the ‘feel’ of Africa.
The cosy Bar is also located in the thatched main lodge area and is well-stocked with a wide range of local and premium brand drinks – if you have a particular preference, let us know when Booking, and we will do our best to accommodate!
Have you ever swum in a counter-current saltwater swimming pool? If so, have you ever done so with the backdrop of passing Elephants, Puku, the occasional Lion and near ever-present Hippopotamus?! Pack your costumes.
‘The food was the best we had in over 25 Lodges in Southern Africa’. So says a previous guest on Trip Advisor. The outdoor decking with the central fire-pit provides an ideal location in which to enjoy the same. Take a few moments to look up at the stars, amazing in the clear African skies, and then close your eyes and listen to the Sounds of Africa…
- On-site Massages / Treatments – from our excellent, highly trained Masseuse, please book in advance
- Laundry service
- From the end of May 2022, an amazing new Deluxe Stargazing & Sleepout Suite will be ready – 6 metres high and providing stunning views over the Luangwa River and up to the African sky. Complete with its own private telescope.
- Game Drives – with its prime location in the game-rich South Luangwa National Park, even your initial drive to your Lodge becomes a Game Drive!
- Night Drives – after watching the sunset, with Sundowner drink in hand, prepare for the thrills of a Night Drive, providing a unique insight into our nocturnal species
- Walking Safaris – South Luangwa is the home of the Walking Safari, and, by prior arrangement, allow us to take you on a unique experience and to be fully immersed in the African bush
- River Safaris – in February through to April, subject to river conditions, experience the thrill of arriving to your Lodge by water, followed by the adventure of exploring the Luangwa River and its birdlife and wildlife by boat
- Cultural / Village Tour – available on request
Chikunto Safaris is one of the newest Safari Lodges in Zambia, having its first full season in 2019. This has helped ensure that the Lodge manages to combine the feel of the more traditional Safari Lodge with the modern comforts that the more discerning traveller expects / hopes for – whilst never letting you forget that you are in a game-rich area in the middle of one of Africa’s most prolific National Parks.
Chikunto is the ‘baby’ of Jens Kant, and his wife Regula Burkhalter and was pulled together with the help, expertise and friendship of their Director / Safari Activities, Josephat Musoni.
Rather than bringing in an external Team to help with the construction of the Lodge, a Team was pulled together from the local villages and the nearest town, Mfuwe. Under the watchful eye of Jens, a consulting Engineer, a magnificent property was constructed. Many of the original construction workers have been re-trained and continue to be valuable members of the Chikunto ‘Family’ – this degree of involvement helps ensure a genuine commitment to Customer Service and the long-term future of the business.
With the very best of modern solar energy systems, Chikunto remains committed to focusing on all-round sustainability and to providing a carbon-neutral experience.
Within a month of the Lodge opening in April 2018, Regula was struck down by a sudden illness. Regula was the inspiration for Chikunto Safari Lodge, and the whole Team remain committed to ensuring that her legacy lives on.
More recently, a new member has joined the Chikunto family. Brought up in Nigeria, Uganda, Malawi, Tanzania and Zimbabwe and with 20 years’ experience in the hospitality sector, Gareth Jones is welcome on board as Director / Sales & Marketing. Bringing a shared enthusiasm for both the product and Customer Service, he will be a valuable addition to the Team.
- All meals and snacks (breakfast, lunch, afternoon cake, delicious 3-Course Dinner)
- All standard Drinks
- Two game viewing activities per day
- Cultural / Village Tour – available on request, instead of Game Drive
- Visit local market and Tribal Textiles – available on request, instead of Game Drive
- Transfers from and to Mfuwe Airport or another Lodge / Camp in the Valley
- Laundry Service
- Value Added Tax
- Park Entrance Fees, Bed Levy and Tourism Levy
- Premium rate Drinks