The Zambezi River
Elephant Back Safaris
Horse Back Safaris
Open Vehicle Safaris
White Water Rafting
Tiger and Fly Fishing
Elephant back Trails
CITIES & TOWNS
In depth synopsis
TOUR & SAFARI Co's
AND HISTORICAL SITES
List of Historical Monuments in Zambia from the
National Heritage Council
Ayrshire Farm Rock Engravings, Lusaka
Chifubwa Stream Cave 6.4
km from Solwezi at 12°13' S 26°25' E.
Gwisho Hot Springs,
Lochinvar National Park, Monze: Late Stone
Age human skeletons from about 4,000 years
Ilede, Lusitu, is an archaeological
site near the town of Siavonga, at 16°11' S
Kalemba Rock Shelter,
Chadiza District, with many rock paintings,
at 14°7' S 32°30' E.
Kalundu Mound, Kalomo, site of a
village from at least the ninth century
until the twelfth century.
Kasamba Stream Grinding
Grooves, Samfya Iron Age site 1.6 km
south of boma where axes and iron implements
were sharpened, at 11°20' S 29°33' E. On the western shore of
Lake Bangweulu, just south of Samfya, is an outcrop of rock which bears a large
number of artificial grinding grooves dating back possibly to the Iron Age. It is thought
they were used for grinding and polishing axes.
Kundabwika Rock Painting
near Kundabwika Falls, 96 km north-west of
Mporokoso at 9°13' S 29°19' E.
Leopard's Hill Cave,
Libala Limestone, Lusaka next to
Lusaka Primary School along Chilimbulu road.
Makwe Rock Shelter, Katete:
Late Stone Age site which yielded many
tools, (6000 years old) 3.2 km S of
Kondwelani School, at 14°24' S, 31°56' E
Maramba Quarry Site, Livingstone
first stratified site of the Middle
Pleistocene Hope Fountain Culture in
Southern Africa, north side of town.
Mkomo Rock Shelter Iron
Age rock shelter and paintings, 64 km west
of Chipata at 13°54' S 32°12' E.
Mumbwa Caves in Central
Province these caves contain burial sites
and evidence of iron smelting and are the
site of the Kaonde people's Musaka
Jikubi Ceremony. 14°59' S 27°02'
Munwa Stream Rock
Engravings in Mwense district at
20°29' S 28°40' E.
Mwela Rock Paintings,
Kasama, 4.8 km from centre, north of the
Kasama Isoka road at 10°10' S 31°13' E.
Nachikufu Cave, Mpika District
18,000-year-old rock paintings in a cave at
12°15' S 31°10' E.
Nachitalo Hill, Mkushi District
rock art 55 km south of Ndola near Msofu
mission at 13°32' S 28°59' E.
Nsalu Cave & Rock
Painting, Serenje District
12,000-year-old rock paintings 30 km north
of Kanona at 12°40 ' S 30°45' E. This semi-circular cave, cut into Nsalu hills contains
some of the best examples of Africas schematic rock paintings. It stretches about 20
metres wide, 20 metres deep and eight metres high. Excavations carried out in the
1940s showed the site was first occupied by middle Stone Age people although the
majority of remains discovered relate to the hunting people of the late Stone Age and date
back from about 12000 years ago to 1000 AD. The significance of the schematic drawings at Nsalu remains a mystery. Some archaeologists believe they were connected with initiation
ceremonies but research into the subject continues. Its a short detour off the GNR.
30 kms north of Kanona turn left, travel a further fourteen kilometres, turn right. This
road leads to the caves in rugged hilly country.
Nyambwezu Rock Shelter,
Mwinilunga District, at Nyambwezu Falls,
with paintings similar to Chifubwa Stream
Cave, probably about 3,000 years old, at
12°00' 25°10' E.
Photo (c) Clair Powell
Rocklands Farm Rock
Paintings 16.km SE of Chipata, two
groups of rock paintings on the west side of
Sebanzi Hill, Lochinvar
National Park, Monze: 2.7 km WSW of the
ranch House, the site of a large Iron Age
Village, apparently occupied by the
ancestors of the Tonga tribe from about A.D.
Sutherland's Farm Site,
Livingstone, including two former terraces
of the Maramba River, the lower of which
contains a home and workshop site of the
Great Handaxe Culture.Thandwe Rock Shelter,
Chipata District, rock
Twickenham Road Archaeological Site,
Twickenham Road, Olympia Park, Lusaka.
Twin Rivers Kopje, 24 km
south-west of Lusaka.
Victoria Falls Trust Area Archaeological
Sites, Livingstone 5.6 km west of town
on north side of Sesheke road, Early to
Later Stone Age sites which are the key for
determining the Stone Age cultural sequence
in the Upper Zambezi Valley
Zawi Hill Rock
Paintings, 32 km north of Chipata near
from the colonial era
Administrator's House, Kalomo capital
of North-Western Rhodesia, up to 1911.
Hotel, Lundazi, built 1956.
Livingstone Memorial, Mpika
district built in 1902 to mark the site
where David Livingstone died in 1873.
Fort Elwes fort with stone walls on
the Congo Pedicle border north of Mkushi.
Fort Monze 1890s, one of the
earliest colonial police posts, 12 km SSW of
Fort Young 21 km SSE of Chipata
on the Nsadzu-Mpezeni road at 13°50' S
Mpongwe Fortified Camp,
Mpongwe, consisting of a raised bank and
double ditch constructed during a period of
raiding into the area by the neighbours of
the Lima people, probably about 1870 at
13°31' S 28°9' E.
Church, Mpulungu the oldest
surviving church building in Zambia, dating
from 1895, near Mpulungu on Lake Tanganyika.
Nkala Old Boma built in
1901 as a fortified police camp, at the top
of Kapilika Nakalomwe Hill just outside
Kafue National Park.
Drift, Livingstone the first
colonial settlement dating from the 1890s,
next to a good river crossing point; its
cemetery is in the game park section of the
Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park.
Government House, Livingstone
the main government office and governor's
residence 1907-1935 when Livingstone was the
capital of North-Western Rhodesia and
Tanganyika Victoria Memorial
Institute, Mbala: Technical Institute
built around 1905 in memory of Queen
Good News" Monument, Mbala District:
commemorating the launching of the London
Missionary Society's steamship, The Good
News, in 1884. On the Lovu or Lufubu River
6.4 km upstream from Lake Tanganyika at
8°35' S 30°45' E.
Lettow-Vorbeck Memorial located near
the north end of Chambeshi Bridge at the
spot where German East African forces agreed
a cease-fire on 14 November 1918 marking the
end of World War I.
Bwacha House Number E1376, Musuku
Road, Bwacha Township, Kabwe, where on 8
March 1958 Dr K D Kuanda was elected
President of the Zambia African National
Chilenje House 394, Lusaka
occupied by Dr. K. D. Kaunda 1960-2.
Former House of Rt Hon. Prime Minister
Robert Gabriel Mugabe of Zimbabwe at
Chalimbana Teacher Training College, Lusaka.
Freedom House, Freedom Way,
Lusaka, from where the United National
Independence Party (UNIP) manifesto of 1962
Kabompo House No. J11a Kabompo Township,
Kabompo, to which Dr K. D. Kaunda was
restricted by the Colonial authorities from
March to July, 1959.
Lubwa House of Dr Kenneth David
Kaunda in Chinsali District at 10°35' S
32°1' E, occupied from 1945 by the first
President of the Republic of Zambia while he
was headmaster of Lubwa Upper Primary
Matero House No. 3144, Monze
Road, Matero Township, Lusaka.
Old Chilenje House Number 280, Luwembu
Street, Old Chilenje, Lusaka, the first
office of the Zambia African National
Tree, Kabwe: a fig tree with a
50 m wide canopy on the east side of
Broadway, which served as a meeting place on
many occasions during the early years of the
township's history. Visible on Google Earth
at 14°26'37.8 S 28°26'32.9E.
The Big Tree National Monument cape fig tree
is a prominent feature in downtown Kabwe,
Chichele Mofu Tree − a
large Mofu mahogany tree in Chichele
National Forest 13 km west of Ndola.
about 11 km west of Ndola at 12°58'32 S
28°31'13 E. This marks the spot, now in the
Ndola West Forest Reserve where the aircraft carrying Dag Hammerskjold, author and
former Secretary General of the United Nations, crashed on the 18th September 1961. To
commemorate his death, a small cairn has been built in the centre of a simple memorial
garden and a site museum has been opened to the public.
Football Heroes Burial
Site, Independence Stadium, Lusaka,
where 30 victims of the 1993 Gabon Air
Disaster are buried including the 18 members
of the Zambia national football team.
Ntembwe of Mwase Lundazi
an irregular earthwork bank and ditch which
was a baKafula village until about 1850, in
Lundazi at 12°24' S 33°22' E.
National Assembly, Lusaka:
also known as the Old Secretariat and Legco,
in Independence Avenue, Lusaka. Built 1932
and site of historic legislative events
important to Zambia's history during
colonial and post-independence times.
Slave Tree, Ndola − a
large fig tree at Moffat Avenue and
Livingstone Road, where slaves were bought
and sold by Swahili slave traders.
Collier Monument to prospector William
Colliers 1902 discovery of copper ore at
the Roan Antelope Mine in Luanshya.
Lusaka Thermal Power
Station, Great East Road, Lusaka.
Moir And Bell
Monument: Mufulira Copper Mines, where
the prospectors, J. Moir and G. Bell,
discovered copper-bearing ore in 1923.
Zambezi Sawmills (Mulobezi)
Railway Locomotive Sheds at Livingstone
c1920, now the site of the Livingstone
info on the Falls listed below
Lunsemfwa Wonder Gorge and Bell Point:
Mkushi District at the confluence of the
Lunsemfwa and Mkushi Rivers at 14°39' S
About 75 km east-southeast of Kabwe, Zambia,
the Lunsemfwa River cuts a 500m deep gash,
known as The Wonder Gorge, through the lip
of the Muchinga Escarpment (viewed from
Bells Point). The antenna atop the Taipei
101 skyscraper, the worlds tallest
building, would just protrude above the rim
of this gorge.
Chipoma Falls on the Chimanabuwi River,
24 km SSW of Chinsali at 10°46' S 32°01' E.
Fossil Forest 50,000-year-old fossil
trees, 21 km west of Chirundu at 16°02' S
28°40' E. Just off the main Lusaka Chirundu road, not
far from Chirundu, are fossil trees belonging to the Karoo period and are
about 50 000 years old. The hills here
are covered in what at first glance look
like large cylindrical columns of rock.
Chisimba Falls on the Luombe
River 7.2 km from Chilubula Mission in
Hippo Pool, Chingola on the Kafue
Falls, Mbala District falls and
archaeological site of early human
habitation (the falls is shared with
Kundabwika Falls on the Kalungwishi
River in Kaputa District at 9°13' S 29°19' E
Kundalila Falls on the Kaombe River,
12.8 km SE of Kanona in Serenje District.
Lake Chirengwa (Sunken Lake) 14 km E of
Ndola at 12°58' S 28°45' E.
Lake Kashiba SW of Luanshya: a 100 m
deep sunken lake at 13°27'S, 27°56'E.
Lumangwe Falls on the Kalungwishi River
between Mporokoso and
Ntumbachushi Falls on the Ngona River,
Kawambwa District, at 9°52'S, 28°58'E
Zambezi Source, Mwinilunga District:
source of the Zambezi river and a botanical
reserve, part of Zambezi Source National
List of Other Historic Sites
not declared national monuments but are probably
on the larger NHCC list of historic sites. It is
an informal and incomplete list of sites
please let me know if there are others not
Chilubula Mission, Kayembi the first
mission of the White Fathers in the
territory built 1895 by Father Joseph Dupont,
known as 'Moto Moto', it features a large
church and well-preserved buildings.
Otto Beit Bridge, Chirundu 1939, first
modern suspension bridge with parallel
cables built outside the USA (shared with
High Court, Livingstone built in 1910
to coincide with the visit of the Duke and
Duchess of Connaught
Broken Hill Mine, Kabwe one of the
first mines in Zambia (1906) and site of the
Broken Hill Man fossil find commemorated by
a memorial at the municipal offices.
Kilwa Island, Lake Mweru site of 19th
Century slave traders stockade.
Lwimbe Petroglyphs about 15 km west of
Girls Boarding School, Mbereshi 1915,
first African girls school in the country,
now a mission house.
Mulungushi Rock, Kabwe since 1960,
site of independence movement conferences.
Mumbwa, the first Copperbelt commercial
copper mines in Zambia were the Sable
Antelope mine and Hippo mine in Mumbwa, now
North-Western Hotel, Livingstone built
1909 by 'Mopane' Clarke.
Andrews Church, Livingstone built
1910-11 in memory of David Livingstone and
still in use.
'manor house' built in 1922 by Sir Stewart
Gore-Browne at his Shiwa Ngandu estate.
Bridge, Livingstone 1905, first
major bridge and first railway (shared with