Insects, Mosquitos and Tsetse flies
- The locals use dry elephant dung and light it so it smoulders to reduce the number of Tsetse flies especially on game drives. It works very well and does not smell particularly bad.
- In terms of insect repellents, Peaceful Sleep seems to work better than Tabard in Zambia. Be sure to fully cover any and all exposed areas.
- It is a good idea to take anti histamine tablets for bites.
- Zambia is a high malaria area so we recommend taking Anti malaria tablets. Bear in mind that malaria is a much higher risk during or just after the rainy season.
- Take Malaria test kits with you just to be sure and at the first sign of any flu-like symptoms be sure to test yourself.
Been to Zambia recently? Got any additional information, tips, suggestions or updates for this page? Well, we want you to be part of our efforts to help future self-drive visitors to Zambia. Please fill out our suggestion form here.